EU-MESH’s work plan is divided into seven work packages with the following objectives:
- WP1 - Project Management and Assessment: This work package performs overall project management and coordination, and quality monitoring of the project’s results.
- WP2 - Requirements and Architecture: This work package will define the user and application requirements, and the architecture of the EU-MESH system. The architecture definition will follow a cross-layer design principle, and will be the basis for the work performed in work packages WP3 through WP5.
- WP3 - Mesh Configuration and Link Control: This work package will develop procedures for automated configuration and management, efficient wireless network monitoring that supports cross-layer measurements, and mechanisms and procedures to support efficient topology control. Abstractions for the wireless link layer and basic network monitoring & control mechanisms developed here will be used in WP4 and WP5.
- WP4 - Resource, QoS, and Mobility Management: This work package will develop models and algorithms for efficient resource management based on cross-mechanism optimization, QoS routing metrics and opportunistic routing algorithms, and mobility support. This work package will utilize basic monitoring and control mechanisms developed in WP3.
- WP5 - Security: This work package will develop proactive and reactive security mechanisms for ensuring high dependability and availability of the EU-MESH network. This work package will interact with WP4 for achieving efficient wireless resource utilization while satisfying security requirements and for supporting secure QoS routing and handovers, and will utilize network monitoring & control mechanisms from WP3.
- WP6 - Experiments and Trials: This work package will integrate the software modules developed in WP3 through WP5 to validate their interoperability, define and execute experiments and trials in a local and a metropolitan scale, in order to qualitatively and quantitatively assess the performance gains of the developed procedures and algorithms.
- WP7 - Dissemination, Standardisation, and Exploitation: The goal of this work package is to disseminate the project’s results and achievements, follow and contribute to relevant standardisation activities, and exploit specific project results.